there are many reasons…
- watch the music develop, be part of the development process
- see each layer happening, its easier to understand than a group of musicians.
- bring natural sounds, spontaneity together with precision and impact of electronics
or consider this zoom out perspective:
Livelooping is in the gap between electronic and traditional music
Depending on the point of view, LiveLooping means:
- to automate hand played instruments or
- to humanize electronically composed music.
The music world is roughly divided between:
- traditional musicians who spent years to dominate an instrument and hours to rehearse a specific piece and finally record it with a microphone and
- electronic musicians who dominate creative computer programs and mount compositions from prerecorded and electronically generated sounds.
of course, many musicians know about both worlds, but they live in one at a time: either they play an instrument or they operate a computer. This has changed with the invention of LiveLooping:
the live looping musician can play, record and compose at the same time!
Some listeners are afraid of technology because they experienced cold music from over digitalized production methods – but then become surprised and pleased with Live Looping.
by Matthias Grob, 2006